Securely request appointments, prescription refills, referrals, review your test results, health history and more.
Click on the links below for articles.
Breastfeeding offers many advantages for both a baby and her mother. The American Academy of Pediatrics has identified breastfeeding as providing the best health outcomes for both mother and baby. If you have not previously considered breastfeeding your baby, look at the following advantages of breastfeeding:
- decreases the chance and/or severity of a wide range of infectious diseases, including blood-borne infections, gastrointestinal infections, allergies, asthma and diabetes.
- is associated with a 36% reduced risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and a 21% reduction in infant mortality.
- mothers return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster
- reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancer for the mother.
- facilitates bonding between mother and baby.
- is associated with a lower chance of postpartum depression for the mother
- is associated with improved brain development and language development
- lowers the risk of childhood obesity
- is environmentally friendly: it is cost effective, saves water, does not require industrial manufacturing or shipping and transport.
We encourage all mothers to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is a natural process, but often can be frustrating and difficult. Quaker Medical is pleased to offer lactation consultation services to mothers who have chosen or are interested in breastfeeding their baby. Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) demonstrate specialized knowledge and clinical expertise in breastfeeding and are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE).